It’s not entirely finished, but it’s getting there.
If you remember. I started with this.
This weekend I started the refinishing process. First, taking off the layers and layers (and yes, more layers) of paint. Mauve (blech!), white, black, and old stain. It’s not a pretty process, especially around each of those small pains oops…I mean panes.
Here’s the first view of most of the paint off.
I didn’t get all of it. I had to go back.
The next step was digging out all of the old putty around each pane on the back side of the window.
That was Saturday afternoon. I thought I could fit in the re-caulking Saturday afternoon too. I was wrong. I had a tiny caulking gun incident. Okay. Really, I clipped the end of the the tube, inserted the tube into the caulking gun, twisted the pressing disk up and up and up and up and I couldn’t get anything to come out. About the time I realized I hadn’t pierced inside the tube, I also realized that I had busted through the bottom side of the tube and had an oozing caulking gun. I had to get the disk back out and nearly caulked my hands to the gun. Once done, I cleaned up myself and the gun, threw away the mangled caulk tube, and decided to call it a night.
First thing on Sunday I did it the proper way.
I know it doesn’t look neat and tidy here, but you have to wait for it to get partially dry before it cleans up easily. I waited and it cleaned up nicely.
I removed the hardware from the back of the window. I threw the hinges away but kept the latch and will put it on the front of the window because it looks really cool. 🙂
I also had a loose corner joint, so put some brackets on. Here:
Okay, back to work on the front. See all that nasty stuff I couldn’t get out of the grooves with paint stripper? see all the stuff on the glass panes. (“urgh”)
I sanded the back, and stained it.
And finally (after much more sanding, scraping and digging, got the first stain on the front:
The glass panes still need a good cleaning. and I’m considering, since I had some layers of black I just couldn’t get removed, to paint the edging between each pane black. So all the inside wood work would be black and the outside will be the stained wood. I need to add the latch to the front and hanging hook and wire to the back.
Nearly done, I have to decide its orientation. I can either hang it vertically with this photo in it:
Or I can hang it horizontally. Four 8×10 pictures will fit in it’s middle pane side by side.
One more blog post on this project before it’s done!